Monday, April 8, 2013

roasting of a duck

Hi everyone,

It's been a few days.

I was a little off with my cooking last week so I caught up a bit over the weekend.

I pretty much made a kind of sloppy dinner Saturday; Jesse and I both worked a lot this weekend in the yard etc.

Well, he worked more (as usual).

I gutted our front yard this weekend; getting rid of the ugly red mulch that was there! yuck!

I'm going to be putting in grass and flowers.

nothing that organized. I really want it to look natural :)

Anyways, dinner on Saturday night consisted of chopped up turkey sausages in brown rice with sauteed onions, steamed cauliflower, crushed tomato, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. It was pretty good. Not excellent but it did make for a better lunch the next day :)

Sunday night, I was exhausted after working in the yard a good portion of the day and cleaning parts of the house etc but I had a duck to roast.

I found a recipe online from Saveur magazine but it was very complicated (http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Chinese-Roast-Duck)and my day was too long for complicated.

So, I made lazy roasted duck. That's what I'm going to call it at least.

I really didn't measure anything so all measurements are approx.

Lazy Roasted Duck

1 4lb duck (can be smaller or larger, just need to adjust cooking time)
roughly 1 tablespoon salt, possibly a bit less

1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tsp chili bean paste
a good sprinkle of powdered ginger
1 tsp of garlic powder
pepper to taste
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 tablespoon honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Remove duck innards and extra skin at neck

Rub duck with salt (rub inside cavity as well)

Tie legs and arms in towards the body with bakers twine

Place about 1/2-3/4 cup of water at bottom of roasting pan

Roast duck for about 1 hour

Baste with liquid mixture

Roast duck for another hour to and hour and a quarter at 400 degrees

This duck turned out really tasty!

It was really moist; maybe too moist?

I don't know how that's even a thing but it was really super duper moist.

The flavor was good but I'd like to put more time into next time so that the flavors are a bit more boosted.

Maybe I'll brine it next time and roast it at a higher temp so that it is more crispy.

I'l probably actually do it in the rotisserie :)

And with that, I will leave you with this:

“I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and say to myself "well, that's not going to happen” 
― Rita Rudner

No comments:

Post a Comment