Friday, March 29, 2013

haven't really cooked too much this week

So, I've not had a ton of time to cook this week.
But, I have made mac and cheese a good amount over the last few weeks so I figured I would post a recipe of how I make mine.
It's going to be estimates because I really don't measure very often! :)

Baked Chedder Macaroni and Cheese

2 tablespoons of butter
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/8-1/4 cup of cornstarch
2 cups of shredded chedder cheese (I find that a mix of sharp and mild tastes best)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of macaroni noodles (2 cups before cooked, makes more than 2 cups cooked)
1 cup of bread crumbs (I use panko)

First, start to boil water for macaroni in medium to large pot (large enough to accomidate for noodles)
Preheat oven to 350
Next, melt butter in medium size sauce pan on medium heat.
Add cornstarch to melted butter; use whisk to incorporate.
Add milk; heat for about 2 minutes.
Add cheese; melt into milk.
Turn heat up just a bit for a few minutes so the cornstarch thickens the mixture. Stir.
Cook pasta. Drain.
Add cheese mixture to pasta pan. Mix until incorporated.
Add cheese and noodle mixture to baking pan large enough to hold-I use 9"x13"
Cover noodles with bread crumbs.
Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until browned.

Ta DA!

This is a tried and true recipe so I know it's good :)


1 comment: