Tuesday, March 26, 2013

beef stew with sundried tomatoes and mushrooms

On Sunday I decided it would be a good idea if I made a large amount of something to last Jesse and I at least a few days into the week for lunch.

I decided I would make beef stew because I make it pretty often and we both love it.

I've made a "Country French Beef Stew" before that I had found in a slow cooker magazine. It calls for sundried tomatoes and red wine.

Halfway through making it, I realize that I didn't have any red cooking wine! Being the thrifty/semi-creative cooker that I am, I decided to use white cooking wine instead.

I used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes I added crushed tomatoes and mushrooms as well.

I pretty much, as usual, made it my own.

Beef Stew with Sundried Tomatoes and Mushrooms

2 pounds of beef, cubed (I usually use a roast or whatever is cheapest :) )
2 large carrots, or about 4 smaller ones
1 1/2 sweet potatoes
2 medium onions (or 1 large, 3 small or less if you're not a huge fan.. we are!)
1-2 cups of mushrooms
1/8 cup of cornstarch, possibly a tad more
2 beef bouillons
a tablespoon or so of gravy master (not necessary but does add a dash of flavor and color, could add a dash of Worcestershire sauce instead)
1 cup of sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups of crushed tomatoes
3/4 cup of white wine (or red.. at this point I know I like red better)
garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste
a couple of swirls of olive oil (for bottom of crock)
enough water to cover all ingredients but not much more than that

add all ingredients into crock pot starting with olive oil and bouillons; sprinkle cornstarch along the way while adding other ingredients (so it's not all dumped in at once)

cook at high heat for about 4 hours (it seemed about done at 3 hours but the sweet potatoes were still a bit stiff)

I've gotta say that if I made this recipe again, I wouldn't add the crushed tomato and I would make sure that I had red wine and I would use that instead of the white. Reasons for these two things: the stew was very sweet. Adding some more salt definitely helps to counteract this. 

All and all it was alright. We're eating it cause I made it and we have a whole pot but I really do prefer more savory tastes!

Andddd I will leave you with this:

“I hate people who are not serious about meals. It is so shallow of them.” 
― Oscar Wilde,  The Importance of Being Ernest


No comments:

Post a Comment