Friday, April 12, 2013

Another lazy week in the cooking department

Hey everyone.

I had another semi-lazy week in the cooking department.

I feel like things will be this way until the wedding happens and we have a break from life (honeymoon)

Well, I made easy things this week.

Like a boxed taco kit that was disgusting.

And wheat pasta with homemade quick tomato sauce (1 can of tomato sauce, 1/2 can tomato paste, garlic powder, paprika, italian herbs.. that's about it) with cut up italian turkey sausages last night.

But I did make chili over night Sunday to Monday for lunch for Jesse and I for the week.

It's extremely easy and the ingredients can really vary due to your taste buds :)

Easy and Tasty Crock Pot Chili

2 pounds of hamburger, on the leaner side (I didn't drain it, cooked it right in the pot)
1/4 bacon, cut up and sauteed a bit
4 (leftover) turkey sausages (optional) cut up (cooked or uncooked is fine)
2 carrots, chopped
1 can of beans-your choice, I used black beans, rinsed
1 onion, medium sized, chopped
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
spices to your liking (I don't really measure.. sorry about that!): cayenne pepper, paprika, cajun seasoning, mexican chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper

Place uncooked hamburger in bottom of crock pot.
Add bacon and turkey sausage (if using)
Add all other ingredients into crock pot.
Stir but don't have to stir too much.
Cook on low all night or on high for about 4 hours.
Serve!

It was, as my chili always is, delicious. Normally I would use more veggies etc (like mushrooms, more beans, squash) but the really great thing about chili is that you can use what you have!

And, once again, I'll leave you with a nice quote on cooking/food:

“In normal life, "simplicity" is synonymous with "easy to do," but when a chef uses the word, it means "takes a lifetime to learn.” -Bill Buford


No comments:

Post a Comment